Yasmin Pills for Pregnancy Prevention: Uses and Side Effects

There are many birth control methods like pull out, douching, and rhythm method, but today women prefer to control their pregnancy by merely taking a pill without depending on the partner. More than half of the women population uses birth control pills at some point in their life. These pills play a considerable role in bringing down the abortion rates. Many birth control pills have also made their way into other areas of health, such as skin maintenance, prevention against ovarian cysts, prevention of menstrual cramps, and increasing fertility in case of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID).

Yasmin is one popular birth control medication that comes in the form of pills. Like any other birth control pill, it helps you prevent pregnancy but does not offer any protection against HIV or any other sexually transmitted disease.

What Do Yasmin Tablets Contain?

Drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol are active ingredients of the tablet. Yasmin tablets are of two types: Yasmin 21 and Yasmin 28. Yasmin 21 contains hormone while Yasmin 28 is a hormone-free drug. Both of these medicines contain 3mg of drospirenone, 0.030 mg of ethinyl estradiol, and some non-medicinal ingredients. You can buy Yasmin either as a branded medicine (more costly) or as a generic drug (cheaper option with same effectiveness). If you are buying the generic version online, be sure to buy it from RXShopMD or some other reliable pharmacy.

How Does Yasmin Work?

It’s quite miraculous the way a tiny pill works in controlling a complex process like pregnancy. Yasmin pills prevent the release of the eggs from the ovary i.e. ovulation. Secondly, there is a hormonal change that does not allow sperm to reach the egg. This happens due to change in cervical mucus and uterine lining that makes it impossible for sperm to penetrate. It is 99% effective per clinical trials and 92 % in real life checks. The other 8 % fails because sometimes pills are missed or they are taken along with other medications or due to vomiting and diarrhea.

Other Benefits and Uses of Yasmin Pills

There are many benefits associated with the intake of this drug. It improves the bloating problem, swelling and weight gain related to fluid retention. It helps in correcting irregular periods that are mostly due to iron deficiency. It decreases the discomfort and pain associated with the periods. Conditions like Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOD), lumpy breasts, uterus cancer, and ovarian cancer are also said to improve in women taking these pills. Ectopic pregnancy, wherein pregnancy happens outside the womb, is a serious issue. It is believed that women taking these pills are relatively at a lesser risk of developing such condition.

Contraindications

Yasmin pills should not be taken when a woman is pregnant or had a baby recently. Additionally, you should not take these tablets in any of the following conditions:

  • Severe migraine
  • Severe High blood pressure
  • Severe high cholesterol
  • Prolonged bed rest
  • Abnormal vaginal bleeding
  • Condition that increases the risk of high potassium
  • Heart or kidney disease
  • Diabetes
  • Smoking and over 35 years of age
  • Having any of the cancers like vaginal, ovarian, cervical, breast, etc.
  • Liver disease or liver cancer
  • Heart attack, stroke, blood clot, or jaundice
  • Allergic to drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol
  • A person taking antiviral medicines that contain ombitasvir, paritaprevir, dasabuvir, or any combination of these

Yasmin Side Effects

Following the common side effects you may experience after taking Yasmin tablets:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Stomach infection or inflammation
  • Back pain
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Intestine inflammation
  • Sore throat
  • Losing interest in sexual activity
  • Swallowing problem
  • Sinus
  • Headache or seizures
  • Dizziness
  • Nervousness
  • Menstrual problems
  • Acne
  • Pain in breast
  • Vaginal infections and discharge

It’s always better to consult a doctor before taking the pills and inform him/her about your health conditions. All hormonal contraceptives are likely to increase the risk of developing blood clots. Women with a history of epileptic seizures must inform the doctor without fail since there is a possibility that the medication might increase the number of seizures. The medication is also not safe in case of fibroid tumors; the risk of gall bladder problems increases. If you do not menstruate for a period of 6 months after stopping the medication, you should see a doctor.

Share This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *