Sleep apnea, which affects both adults and children, is a major cause of concern in many homes, given that it can be very disturbing at times. Sleep apnea occurs in three variants; obstructive, central or mixed sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is known to be causative agent for heart attacks and high blood pressure. It is important for a patient to find out different sleep apnea cures available before adopting a proper method to control and treat the condition.
Sleep apnea cures involves lifestyle changes, use of breathing devices, use of mouthpieces and surgery for extreme cases.
Simple sleep apnea cures for mild cases
Sleep hygiene and other behavioral modifications are proven methods to improve the overall quality of sleep that can induce sleep, plus enhance its quality. The common practices that can contribute to sleep apnea cures to a great extent are as following:
- A bedroom with reduced lighting and noise
- Abstaining from unhealthy habits like watching TV or reading in bed
- Keeping away from heavy meals and exercises before sleep
- Not bringing work into the bedroom
- Practicing physical and mental relaxation prior to sleep
- Losing weight
- Giving up smoking and alcohol
- Giving up dependence on sleeping pills and sedatives
- Practicing regular sleeping habits and timing
- Elevating the position of head
- Changing sleeping position and avoiding sleeping on back
Cures for severe sleep apnea
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP)
In more severe cases of sleep apnea, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), a non-surgical procedure, can cure any level of obstructive sleep apnea. It works by holding the airway passage open, so that it does not collapse during sleep.
Unlike the dental appliances or surgeries, which focus on moving the tissues of the airway, CPAP uses air pressure to hold the airway passage, nose, palate, and throat tissues open during sleep. It is a small portable unit which can be carried while travelling.
Dental appliances are another form of sleep apnea cures which holds the jaw and tongue forward and the palate up, thus preventing closure of the airway. The small increase in airway created is enough to control mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea. The advantage of dental appliance is that, it does not require surgery, is compact, portable and doesn’t require a machine.
When sleep apnea is severe or reached a chronic stage, then surgery is the only last option for sleep apnea cures. The different surgical options for sleep apnea cures are:
- Removal of excess tissue in the nose or throat, thus creating wider air passage
- Realignment of jaw to stop the blockage in airway
- Insertion of small polyester rods into the soft palate to make it firm, commonly known as Pillar Procedure. This is minimal invasive surgery, hence, is gaining popularity as one of the best effective sleep apnea cures
- Bypassing the blocked airways through tracheotomy
Before opting for surgery it is necessary to diagnose the condition properly to determine the most effective sleep apnea cures available for that particular condition. Being cured of sleep apnea means a better interpersonal relationship, in addition to promotion of overall health and energy.